EmtroniZian: Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8051 Microcontroller.

3 posters

Go down

8051 Microcontroller. Empty 8051 Microcontroller.

Post  busanza Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 am

Hello,
I want to know the requirement of programming a 8051 MCU; i'd like to know what type of compiler should be used, and the possible advantages (if there are any) of using a 8051 MCU over ATMEGA, or ARDUINO boards....

busanza

Back to top Go down

8051 Microcontroller. Empty Re: 8051 Microcontroller.

Post  Tera Mind Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:53 pm

There are two most popular compilers for 8051 structure based MCUs.First one is IDE from Keil. Next one is MCU 8051 IDE

The µVision IDE from Keil combines project management, make facilities, source code editing, program debugging, and complete simulation in one powerful environment. The µVision development platform is easy-to-use and helping you quickly create embedded programs that work. The µVision editor and debugger are integrated in a single application that provides a seamless embedded project development environment.

MCU 8051 IDE is a free software integrated development environment for microcontrollers based on 8051. MCU 8051 IDE has its own simulator and assembler (support for some external assemblers is also available). This IDE supports 2 programming languages: C and Assembly language. For C language it uses SDCC.

In my opinion, Arduino is having more features than 8051 based mcus.
Using an Arduino simplifies the amount of hardware and software development you need to do in order to get a system running.

The Arduino hardware platform already has the power and reset circuitry setup as well as circuitry to program and communicate with the microcontroller over USB. In addition, the I/O pins of the microcontroller are typically already fed out to sockets/headers for easy access (This may vary a bit with the specific model).

On the software side, Arduino provides a number of libraries to make programming the microcontroller easier. The simplest of these are functions to control and read the I/O pins rather than having to fiddle with the bus/bit masks normally used to interface with the Atmega I/O (This is a fairly minor inconvenience). More useful are things such as being able to set I/O pins to PWM at a certain duty cycle using a single command or doing Serial communication.

Personally, I think the greatest advantage is having the hardware platform set up already, especially the fact that it allows programming and serial communication over USB. This saves me the trouble of having to do my own PCB (which can cost more than an Arduino) or breadboarding (which I'm not a big fan of). Either way takes time for me to do and verify that everything is working correctly.

Tera Mind

Back to top Go down

Post  busanza Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 pm

thanks a lot!! i will take up your advice and try to learn Arduino....

busanza

Back to top Go down

Post  goma Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 pm

I too have trying to do a microcontroller based project, but I was having a dilema on which MCU to use! Some of my friends were advising to do for PIC, since it provides the facility of flow code programming! I don't know I should prefer Arduino to Pic micro??

goma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down